10.29.2013

Tamiya 4WD Circuit Build

So I built a Tamiya circuit from scratch. 3 rolls of black masking tape, glue, mounting board and corrugated plastic. I tried to build it as close to Official Mini 4WD Race Rules for the course - 115mm lane width and 60mm walls. OH LOL it's actually 50mm! I didn't read it properly D:

I reinforced the walls by adding strips of board

Took me 8 hours. The easiest part was obviously the straight section.


The curves were kinda hard. Couldn't bend the board how I wanted it to, and if I bent it too much it will fold the board in half. Had to sit there for a full minute holding the board in place until the glue sets.



What I did was I put the paper template on the mounting board and, with a ball pen, pressed down along the template so it leaves a mark on the board. Then I apply glue and secure the board in place.



But the hardest was the lane changer. HOMG I almost cracked my head figuring out how to do it. I literally sat there for half an hour wondering how to cut, where to cut, how much to cut and where to bend. I just winged it and somehow got it done.



My only regret is that the slope is way too steep. Sometimes the underside of the car will hit the road as it was going up. If only I made the track longer, I could make it more gradual. You can see why in my photos.


But that would mean that I need to split the section across two or three boards, as mounting boards I had was 20"x30". I'll keep it in mind for the next build.

Can I also say that the most boring part about this project was... THE CUTTING! OMG! I wished there was an easier way to cut mounting board. My ruler and cutting mat is way too small (and it's A3 sized. eh.) and I had to replace my box cutter blade so often coz it became blunt very fast. Sigh.

Notes for the next build: 1. Longer track, 2. a slave to only cut pieces.

I'm also thinking about how to make it portable for storage purposes. This one I built is already quite big. Wonder how to make it such that I can easily attach it and detach it. Hmmmmm!



FINISHED!

5 comments:

  1. can you draw it and send it to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you give me curve template?? please.. Thank you So much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE CORRUGATED PLASTIC SHEET usually applies to a wide range of extruded twin-wall plastic sheet products base on a high impact polypropylene copolymer.corrugated plastic products

    ReplyDelete